Director Jean-Luc Godard, Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jean Seberg walking on the Champs-Elysees. Breathless (1959).
"Two things are important in life. For men, women. For women, money."—- Parvulesco (Jean-Pierre Melville) in Jean-Luc Godard's Breathless. Story written by anti-establishment film critic at Cahiers Du Cinema, Francois Truffaut.
Alien screenwriter Dan O’ Bannon on meeting H.R. Giger:
There was another artist the producer wanted me to meet. He had seen this guy’s work in a show that was at Paris at the time. He took me over to one of the really fancy hotels in Paris, not the one I was staying in, where this artist, H.R. Giger was staying while his show was on display in Paris.
Giger (right) brings out this little tin foil and said, “Would you like some opium?”
I said, “Why do you take that?”
He said, “I am afraid of my visions.”
I said, “It’s all in your mind.”
He said, “That is what I am afraid of.”
Watch The Beast Within: The Making of Alien.
Richard Pryor interviewed by Steve Martin on The Tonight Show. 1978.
In a world before podcasts, this was still a rare treat.
And more than 12 minutes without a commercial interruption, too!
8 Reasons Why Varsity Blues is one of the best film ever made.
1. Ali Larter’s heroic whipped cream bikini.
2. Billy Bob.
There’s a guy called Billy Bob who drives a truck, wears a cowboy hat, has a gun, plays football and has a pet pig named Bacon. If he was any more ‘Merican, he’d be shitting bald eagles while shooting a rocket launcher.
3. Everytime I see James Van Der Beek, I imagine Ving Rhames
in his motel room, watching Dawson’s Creek and going…
3. Two Words. Van Halen. Three More Words. Hot For Teacher.
4. Jon Voight as the tough, mean-ass coach that left no doubts to the reasons why Angelina Jolie went batshit crazy in the 90s. She married Billy Bob and wore a vial of his blood around her neck. Under daddy pressure from this guy, you’d crack too.
5. The way Scott Caan says, “Naice”. Sonny must be proud.
6. Foo Fighters My Hero on the soundtrack when the game starts in slow motion. That’s some epic shit.
7. Paul Walker for showing us that you can get hurt on the field, lose the captain of the football team spot, lose the cheerleader girlfriend and still have enough heart to lead the team to victory.
Watch Green Day - Nice Guys Finish Last from the Varsity Blues soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nDq1HoNm-E
Varsity Blues (1999) Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-lvdu3g_Ok
"The girl gave him a look which ought to have stuck at least four inches out of his back. It didn’t bother him enough to give him the shakes. At The Dancers they get the sort of people that disillusion you about what a lot of golfing money can do for the personality."—- Raymond Chandler, The Long Goodbye.